Dr. Amy Seiberlich specializes in gut health, permanent weight loss, and mental health support. Pulling from a toolbox emphasizing plant-based and ketogenic diets, fasting, counseling, nutrient therapy, homeopathy, and botanical medicine, Dr. Seiberlich develops a customized treatment plan for every patient to reach their health goals. Amy holds a doctoral degree in Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University and a master’s in Global Leadership from the University of San Diego. She is a veteran of the US Navy and proud provider of LGBTQ competent health care.
- Bastyr University, Seattle, Washington – Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
- University of San Diego, San Diego, California – Masters of Science, Global Leadership
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado – Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry
- Plant-Based Nutrition and Therapeutic Water Fasting: 160+ clinical residency hours
- Ketogenic Diet: Keto Practitioner Training Intensive, Therapeutic Benefit of Intermittent
- Fasting and Ketogenic Diet, and 40+ clinical residency hours
- Visceral Manipulation (VM)
- Cranial Sacral Therapy (CST)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) and Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)
What do you like to treat and why?
I love to treat the gut! Not only is it the center of our physical body, it’s also integral to the proper function of every other body system – and don’t get me started on the gut-brain connection! I had years of gut issues stemming, in part, from long-term antibiotic use in the Navy and I didn’t realize what a toll it was taking on my energy and mood until I was better. Unfortunately, healing the gut usually isn’t as simple as just eating the “right foods”; I still needed help to treat the underlying damage to my gut and heal the deep-seated emotional issues that kept leading to self-sabotage. Let me be that help for you!
- GI/Gut Health: SIBO, IBS, leaky gut (intestinal permeability), constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, and GERD
- Weight Loss: Utilizing lifestyle modifications such as the ketogenic diet, plant-based diet, and/or fasting protocols along with counseling and exercise, we get to the root of your weight loss struggle so you can get on with your life.
- Mental Health: Fatigue, Insomnia, anxiety, depression, and food addiction
- LGBTQ Competent Care
How long have you been in Alaska or why did you move here?
I’m actually “Alaska Grown” since before it was a t-shirt! My dad was stationed at Ft. Wainwright when I was 6-months old and I lived in Fairbanks and North Pole until I graduated from high school. I’ve been back periodically over the years and have been impressed at how Fairbanks continues to grow yet maintain the small-town charm of my youth. Now that I am a doctor, I can not think of a more deserving and fun community to help grow and continue to grow with!
Where have you lived before Alaska?
After graduating from North Pole High School, I moved to Ft. Collins, Colorado for my undergraduate degree then “join[ed] the Navy [to] see the world” which took me, among many other places, to Florida, Georgia, Japan, Bahrain, California, Afghanistan, and most recently Seattle, WA.
I first learned the value of hard work right here in Fairbanks in the mid-90’s holding various jobs at Michael’s Art & Crafts (I was one of the first employees when they opened!), Sears, Hot Licks, Wedgewood Resort, and a few other places no longer in business. During college, I joined the US Navy as a Supply Corps Officer and spent the next 14 years traveling the globe on Active and Reserve duty in Japan, Bahrain, Australia, Cambodia, Oahu and San Diego. I also spent 3 years writing R&D contracts for the federal government. In 2012-13, I reactivated to serve as a contracting Officer in Afghanistan where I was able to acquire important services such as electrical power, security, bottled water and even port-a-potties for our deployed troops.
Hobbies and other interests?
If you haven’t figured it out already, I LOVE TO TRAVEL! Most recently, I hiked all over the Scottish Highlands, Northern Ireland, and Wales. Other memorable trips include Costa Rica, Belize, Peru, Montreal, Victoria (BC), Australia, Palau, Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and Sweden. For 2019, I’ve got New Zealand in my sights.
My other hobbies and interests include cooking (I love adapting favorite recipes to healthier alternatives), listening to vinyl, knitting and crotchet, reading fiction (especially at the public library), snowshoeing, hiking and completing marathons I haven’t trained for (still recovering from the Equinox Marathon ;).
Married to my best friend with three crazy fur kids. Also, happy to be back in Fairbanks to whip my dad into shape!
Could you recommend any books or websites to our clients?
- The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight by Valter Longo, PhD
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) 21-Day Vegan Kickstart
- High Intensity Health with Mike, Mutzel, MS
- Meat Free Keto
- Also, checkout the Facebook group: Vegan Keto Made Simple (VKMS)
- Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More by Courtney Carver